Australian Women’s 7s star Dominque du Toit will return to her hometown of Toowoomba this weekend as part of the Queensland Reds 7s team for the fifth and final round of the AON Next Gen 7s.
du Toit, who attended school and first played Rugby 7s with Fairholme College in Toowoomba, is one of two capped Australian 7s players set to turn out for Queensland this weekend, with Isabella Nasser also returning to the line-up.
Gladstone’s Sophie Duff will also return to the Reds 7s line-up having not played since Round 1 due to injury, while Dianne Waight will also be in action after scoring a hat-trick to help secure the inaugural Women’s Australian Club Championship – The Sukkar Cup - for Bond University last weekend.
The team have all but secured the Next Gen 7s series, having dropped just one game over the opening four rounds of competition, but still need to deliver this weekend to secure the win.
“We’re really looking forward to this fifth and final round of Next Gen,” said Reds 7s head coach Reg Tayler.
“The team have performed throughout the series so far, and no matter who we’ve had in the team they have come together as a unit and delivered.
“This weekend we’re fortunate to welcome back a number of our Aussie 7s players. For Dom du Toit to return home to Toowoomba and play in front of a home crowd, what a great opportunity for her and the Downs Rugby community.
“Darling Downs as a region has produced some of Australia’s best women’s 7s talent so it is fitting for us to play the Next Gen 7s finale in Toowoomba and I hope we can inspire the local juniors and show them the opportunities that are on offer to them within the 7s game.”
The fifth and final Round of AON Next Gen 7s kicks off at Toowoomba Sports Ground at 9:00am AEST on Saturday 11 March, with games to be live streamed via Rugby Xplorer/Rugby.com.au.
Reds 7s squad for Round 5 of AON Next Gen 7s
- Dominque du Toit – Darling Downs – Fairholme College
- Sidney Taylor – University of Queensland – Murrumba State Secondary College
- Isabella Nasser – University of Queensland – Brisbane State High School
- Nat Wright – University of Queensland – St Peter’s Lutheran College
- Ava Wareta – Bond University – Kings Christian College
- Melanie Wilks – Bond University – Beerwah State High School
- Sophie Duff – University of Queensland – Chanel College, Gladstone
- Ivana Lolesio – Easts – Aquinas College
- Georgia Grey – Bond University – Monte Sant Angelo Mercy College
- Kaitlin Shave – University of Queensland – Clairvaux MacKillip College
- Amahli Hala – Bond University – Kings Christian College
- Dianne Waight – Bond University - Southport State High
9:00am – AON Rising Stars vs Reds 7s 10:20am – AON Rising Stars vs NSW 11:40am – NSW vs Reds 7s 1:00pm – AON Rising Stars vs Reds 7s 2:20pm – AON Rising Stars vs NSW 3:40pm – NSW vs Reds 7s